Javed Khattak – Blockchain, PropTech, Attracting Investors to your Tech Start-up
“Focus on the product and the solution you’re offering. Focus on your end users”
- Blockchain technology is a database of different records that are stored in on many computers simultaneously, which makes it hack-proof.
- Bitcoin is a cryptocurrency but the blockchain is the technology that was devised to execute the vision of bitcoin.
- New technologies improve life in different ways. Blockchain allows us to be more efficient, reduce the number of people involved in a transaction and create trust in a trustless environment.
- Blockchain allows us to let people who live in remote areas access financial services that they previously couldn’t access.
- We need to educate people on blockchain technology because there is a fear around it.
- It’s not about technology, it’s about the end-user. The technology enables the benefit.
- Giving back is all about the mindset.
- How it’s better to give now than wait until you’ve made more profits as more people will benefit and having a business giving strategy will help others.
- How Javed helps families in Pakistan invest their savings in property crowdfunding to be able to afford their own homes.
- Having a business giving strategy to help other
Getting your startup team together
People are the heart and soul of the business, both your customers and your team. You need to focus on this more when you start out.
- Getting the right people in your team.
- It’s better to have a small team of the right people than a larger team.
- Be careful when hiring from the ‘global village’ and do your due diligence.
- People can over-promise and under-deliver
- Your team needs the right mindset and this is not the 9-5 mindset.
- If you’re paying in equity, have a transparent contract in place that protects you if they leave too soon or under perform.
Tips on the best time to get external investment in your startup.
“Don’t go big, get enough funding and test and scale up slowly”
- Thinking ‘if I had the funds this would be a success’ is the wrong approach.
- Get sufficient data and customers behind you first so you know it can scale up.
- Network to get in front of the right be people. Don’t be afraid to invest in events.
- Do your due diligence on events. Ask the organisers the right questions.
- Understand your industry and who you are approaching. This can make a difference in how your company is valued.
You will have days when you want to quit and the people who persevere through this are the ones who stand a higher chance of achieving their goals, dreams, and ambitions.
Mentioned Links and References:
Zisk Properties: https://www.ziskproperties.com/
If you love this episode and can’t wait to hear more then please subscribe to the podcast on your favourite platform and if you’d like to receive notifications you can subscribe below and I’ll email you when a new episode comes out 🙂
About Javed Khattak:
A qualified actuary (FIA), an award winning C-suite executive, a board member and a successful serial entrepreneur with a breadth of experience leading complex programmes within both start-ups and large corporate organisations.
Javed aims to help people through his many projects, which are focused on empowerment, financial inclusion, education and mentoring charitable initiatives. This strongly reiterates that he is a firm believer in giving back to society and is a philanthropic person, striving for the general social well being of the society and the world.
Stephen Knight is the founder of Pimento, a virtual marketing agency that works with over 200 specalist agencies, freelancers and consultants around the world and joins me on this podcast to talk about how to create a successful marketing strategy.
36-year-old entrepreneur Ben Findlay is the CEO and Co-founder of Machine Compare, the UK’s leading marketplace for industrial machinery and spare parts. After starting the business in his back bedroom with brother Eric Findlay in 2016, Ben has devoted his time to scaling the business, successfully seeking investment to put Machine Compare on track to completely revolutionize the way buying and selling take place.
Lee Robertson is the founder of Octo Members Group which is an award winning private network for financial services professionals to exchange and debate contextual, debatable and educational content.